Sunday 22 January 2017

15 Under 15 (With One Exception).

As a student, I don't have a lot of money to spend on fashion and beauty so I have to be incredibly careful with my purchases. You'll often catch me having a browse through NARS, MAC, Charlotte Tilbury, etc. but I never really buy anything from there. I'd say about 90% of my make-up is KIKO or Rimmel, with the odd exception being from a more expensive (or cheaper) brand. Here are 15 reasonably priced products, tried and tested, that I consider to be staple products...

  • Neutrogena Multi-Defense Daily Moisturiser - £7.88: It's important to look after your skin and create a good base for your make-up. After all, we only have one life and one skin. I think Neutrogena proves that skincare doesn't have to be ridiculously expensive to work. This leaves my skin feeling smooth and hydrated. The added SPF if a bonus. 
  • The Body Shop Shower Gel - £4: Though I've noticed a rise in The Body Shop's prices, I'd still say that everything is affordable, especially their shower and bath range. I know shower gel is a strange thing to include, but I've recently seen a lot of people talk about incredibly expensive shower gel and bubble bath, like Laura Mercier's Fresh Fig Honey bath, which costs a whopping £45. I think I'll stick to my £4 mango shower gel from The Body Shop.
  • KIKO Long Lasting Stick Eyeshadow - £6.90: Another product I see people raving about is the By Terry Ombre Blackstar shadowsticks. I'll agree they're beautiful and oh so dreamy, but they're also extremely expensive. Luckily for me, KIKO offer a great alternative in a wider variety of colours. They're easy to blend and look great on their own or with other shadows. KIKO always have great sales on and I managed to get mine for almost half price, which at £3.95 hardly broke the bank. My favourite is 05 Rosy Brown.
  • Topshop Glow Highlighter - £9:  This is a product that I actually found out about a long time ago, way back before it was repackaged, the formula was redone and, well, back when I was too young to know how to properly do make-up. I used this all over my face. It's no wonder I used to be a bit shiny and have to add extra powder. Now that I actually know what it is (I was about 13, okay, it was a long time ago), I really enjoy using this.
  • Topshop Nail Varnish - £5: If you're looking for cheap nail varnish, then Topshop is one of the top places to go. It astounds me that there are relatively cheap brands that offer nail varnishes for such extortionate prices. Topshop nail varnishes have a great finish, are long lasting and there are a wide range of colours available. I especially love their blues.
  • KIKO Unlimited Stylo Lipsticks - £6.90: I could quite easily have filled this post up with KIKO products, but I think I'll save that for another post. I chose this product because it's probably my most worn lipstick. I own the shade 03 Hibiscus Red and I love the colour, the smell (it smells of vanilla!) and the formula. It's extremely long lasting and doesn't come off when you eat or drink (I recently went out for breakfast, lunch and tea and didn't have to reapply once. Once of those meals included messy tacos), yet isn't hard to get off when removing your make-up. I think I'll have to stock up on more colours.
  • Real Techniques Buffing Brush: If there's one RT brush you need to own, it's this one. It's love by normal people like you and me to top make-up artists. It blends your foundation incredibly easily, gives it a lovely finish and I've found that it hasn't shed hair over time, leaving black hairs on my face, which is good but rare in cheaper brushes. I also occasionally use it to apply concealer over larger areas, like down my nose or under my eyes.
  • Make Up Revolution Eyeshadow Palettes (Price varies): Make-Up Revolution really is an excellent brand. Some stuff might not be the best quality in the world but, for the price, we're definitely getting some great stuff. They now offer more than enough products for you to do a full face of make-up using only their products but, if you're clever, you could do it with even less products than usual. With the vast range of shades offered in the palettes, you can easily find a blush colour, a highlight, multiple eyeshadows, a dark colour that could double up as an eyeliner, a shade for your brows and sometimes even a bronzer all in one palette. That's almost an entire face of make-up. Add a base and you're good to go.
  • Rimmel 25 Hour Lasting Perfection Foundation - £7.99: Speaking of adding a base, I'd recommend Rimmel 25 Hour Lasting Perfection Foundation. I've previously tried Rimmel's Wake Me Up foundation which, up until I discovered this, I was a fan of. This has an incredibly high coverage and is incredibly long-lasting (though I haven't tried it for 25 hours!).
  • Clinique Colour Combo - Almost Peach // Bewitched - £13:  I haven't really used Bewitched as it's hidden beneath Almost Peach, so I tend to forget about it, but the colour I really like is the latter. Almost Peach is such a lovely colour. It's buildable, looks nice as a base or all over the lid and can even be used as a highlighter, on the brow bone, in the tear duct or across the cheekbone. 
  • MAC Eyeshadow - Shade; Honey Lust - £13: It's expensive for an eyeshadow, I know, but this really is one of my favourite eyeshadows ever. Despite just how glittery it is, there isn't a lot off fall down. It looks great on it's own, blended out all over the lid, and also with other colours.
  • 17 Eyeshadow - Shade; Beyond Bronze - £3.89: If you consider £13 to be too expensive for an eyeshadow (it is pretty steep), then brands like Bourjois, Rimmel and 17 do good quality eyesahdows that serves as dupes for eyeshadows from brands like MAC and NARS. Beyond Bronze from 17 is an excellent dupe of MAC's Honey Lust eyeshadow.
  • Natural Collection Cover-Up Cream - £1.99: I've used a lot of concealers in my time. YSL Touché Éclat, Rimmel Wake Me Up, KIKO 3D concealer... My favourite has probably been KIKO's 3D concealer but has been discontinued. Now, my favourite and most used is Natural Collection's Cover-Up Cream, mainly because I think it looks equally nice both on blemishes and on eye-circles or redness. At £1.99, you can't really go wrong, so it's worth trying.
  • ZARA Rose Perfume: Not many people seem to know that ZARA do a whole range of perfume. I've tried a few, but one of my favourites is the Rose version. I always get compliments when I wear it. It's definitely worth a look in ZARA if you're looking for a cheap but good perfume.
  • Clinique Super City Block SPF - £18: So, £18 isn't exactly under £15, but you can often get it for cheaper on Amazon, in the sales or if you go for a smaller bottle. I know I said that skincare doesn't have to be expensive to be the best, but I'm yet to find a cheap, drugstore SPF that does what it's supposed to and doesn't leave me feeling greasy. I make sure my foundations have SPF in them but I like to apply a regular one anyway. My favourite is from Clinique and is probably the priciest product in this post. It protects my skin, doesn't leave me feeling greasy, sits well under make-up and actually has a bit of coverage itself.

What products under £15 would you recommend?
Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment